Clear All

• For Crawford It's a Matter of Substance over Style

Click image for larger version

Name:	5b99a4d7c9c06.image_.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	10804

By Frank Lotierzo

Maybe he should be referred to as the quiet man, because WBO welterweight titlist Terence Crawford 33-0 (24) is very much understated. He doesn't say much and when he does you can barely hear him. In the ring he's a certified hell raiser and when challenged or angered by an opponent, his sublime skills take over and he dominates.

Crawford was asked on a conference call this week: "How do you view it when an opponent talks trash to you? Do you like it? Does it motivate you more? How do you approach that?"

Terence Crawford: "Of course it motivates me more because, as you know, I’m cool, calm, collected. I never said anything to the guy. He approached me, so now it makes the victory more enjoyable to go in there and hit him in his mouth and shut him up."

This weekend he defends his title against Jose Benavidez 27-0 (18) at the Chi Health Center in Omaha, Nebraska. Benavidez has accused Crawford of beating up smaller fighters. Terence says he'll give Jose the opportunity to back up his words Saturday night and most likely -- as it is with all of Crawford's title bouts -- he'll size Benavidez up for a round or two and then proceed to beat him up and take him apart a little more with each passing round until it's over.

The reason I say that is because Crawford is so versatile. He has defeated upper-tier opposition and title holders fighting out of a conventional stance and fighting as a southpaw. Defensively, Crawford, going by the way he looks after his bouts, must be hard to hit because his face is seldom marked. Offensively, Crawford has more gears than any fighter in boxing and he's quicker and a little bit of a bigger puncher than he is given credit for. Terence has more resources physically and processes information faster than any fighter we've seen in a long time. He has more ways to win and defeat elite fighters than any other combatant in the sport. He's a natural fighter with a mean streak a mile wide and maybe the most underrated thing about him is that the punches of his opponents seldom go unanswered.

Jose Benavidez is an outstanding fighter who is always in great shape and comes to fight. He's 3-4 inches taller than Crawford at 6-2 and holds a three-inch reach advantage. In fact he's one of the biggest welterweights in the world and his best punch is probably his jab. But he doesn't have the speed or sophistication to apply his physical advantages against Crawford. Moreover, he's never been in the ring with a fighter as lethal as Terence Crawford. Jose says he plans on making Crawford fight, and that's exactly what Terence thrives on because he's boxing's version of the New England Patriots. Crawford doesn't enter the ring with a mindset that dictates what he wants to do -no- he's like the Patriots in that he finds his opponents vulnerability and forces them to fight from their weakness.

Maybe the thing that stands out the most about Crawford is that we hardly ever hear a fighter call him out or challenge him. Anthony Joshua is the perceived number-one heavyweight in the world, yet he's called out every day by his contemporaries the likes of Deontay Wilder, Luis Ortiz, Dillian Whyte and Tyson Fury. Canelo Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin are considered the top of the food chain among the middleweights, but a day doesn't go by when they're not publicly challenged by Demetrius Andrade, Billy Joe Saunders, Daniel Jacobs and Jermall Charlo. Even WBA 135-pound champion Vasyl Lomachenko, who is in the race with Crawford as boxing's top pound for pound fighter, is issued challenges routinely. In fact, Lomachenko has been challenged by fighters he's already defeated in Gary Russell and Jorge Linares. When is the last time a beaten Crawford opponent has asked for a rematch? Once Crawford beats them, they never want to have to think about him again.

As the year 2018 winds down, which has been another banner year for boxing, Terence Crawford is in need of a super-fight. He holds the WBO welterweight title with Keith Thurman, Errol Spence, Shawn Porter and Manny Pacquiao holding the other alphabet belts. In the opinion of most observers Crawford ranks higher than all of them. But all we hear is Thurman wants to fight Porter again, Spence challenged by WBC lightweight titlist Mikey Garcia and Pacquiao seeking another easy win via potential bouts with Amir Khan or Adrien Broner.....and the band plays on and Crawford goes unmentioned! That is if you don't count Errol Spence's tweets, and I don't.

Counting down to Crawford's clash with Benavidez, Terence is the least appreciated fighter among the top-10. He's not a great interview nor is he a natural, say like Joshua, in front of the camera. Lomachenko is flashier and Golovkin puts his opponents to sleep....and those things grab casual fans more than Crawford's technical brilliance and versatility. However, Crawford is a better fighter than they are and his killer instinct and coldness, showing no mercy to beaten opponents, goes virtually unmentioned. And if he beats Benavidez as convincingly as expected, his detractors will fall in line and parrot how Jose was just another undefeated bum who Crawford was fortunate to face on a big stage.

Of course they're wrong, but the boxing business is fickle. With Lomachenko, Canelo, Golovkin, Mikey Garcia, Errol Spence and Naoya Inoue all moving back and forth among the top ten, the debate is continually changing. But the number one spot has consistently belonged Crawford for the last two or three years and I question the acumen of anyone who puts anyone else in that position.

It's a matter here of substance over style.

Between 1977 and 1982, Frank Lotierzo had over 50 fights in the middleweight division. He trained at Joe Frazier's gym in Philadelphia under the tutelage of the legendary George Benton. Before joining The Sweet Science his work appeared in several prominent newsstand and digital boxing magazines and he hosted "Toe-to-Toe" on ESPN Radio. Lotierzo can be contacted at GlovedFist@gmail.com

Check out more boxing news on video at The Boxing Channel

"But the number one spot has consistently belonged Crawford for the last two or three years and I question the acumen of anyone who puts anyone else in that position" Come on, Frank, cut Loma some slack. I think Crawford is right up there and have followed him before anyone knew about him. Thing is, he reminds me of Hearns. No mercy, stone face, tall, and has a mean streak. Once again your story is in the title as only you can do.

Comment

Originally posted by Kid Blast View Post
      "But the number one spot has consistently belonged Crawford for the last two or three years and I question the acumen of anyone who puts anyone else in that position" Come on, Frank, cut Loma some slack. I think Crawford is right up there and have followed him before anyone knew about him. Thing is, he reminds me of Hearns. No mercy, stone face, tall, and has a mean streak. Once again your story is in the title as only you can do.
      Vasyl Lomachenko, who is in the race with Crawford as boxing's top pound for pound fighter, is issued challenges routinely. In fact, Lomachenko has been challenged by fighters he's already defeated in Gary Russell and Jorge Linares.

When is the last time a beaten Crawford opponent has asked for a rematch? Once Crawford beats them, they never want to have to think about him again.

Comment

• Kid Blast
        Kid Blast commented
        Editing a comment
        Thing is , fighting Loma = $$$$$$$$$$$$$. Fighting in Omaha gets you fewer $$$ and maybe an audience with Warren Buffet. Your move, mate (no double entendre intended)

Yeah...Rigondeaux got a big 400 grand fighting Lomachenko. No Ted, Crawford ruins you, Lomachenko frustrates you. I'd rather be frustrated.

Comment

Originally posted by GlovedFist View Post
        Yeah...Rigondeaux got a big 400 grand fighting Lomachenko. No Ted, Crawford ruins you, Lomachenko frustrates you. I'd rather be frustrated.
        Touche

Comment

Crawford is solid.... and I give him credit fo fighting a slew of B to B+ fighters but guys like Indongo, Dierre Jean, Hank Lundy, and Thomas Dulorme hardly make up a murderers row. Perhaps I'm jaded because of the many proficient fighters I've watched between 1975 to 1999 who possessed Crawford's skillset as standard inventory.... Who happens to be a very good fighter but no special effects.

He reached his ceiling against Viktor Postol, a boxer he refused to engage. ...round after dreary ppv round, the fight makes Floyd vs Pac look like Hearns vs Hagler.

This is not a diss toward Crawford, I respect his fighting spirit, tenacity, professionalism and strength of character which keeps him grounded and free of the character flaws that can potentiall tempt a young successful boxer to fall into the type of folly a boxer like Broner continuously falls into. I could never picture Crawford punching out a civilian one day ....pleading for suicide intervention the next day and getting outed on the Tasha K gossip channel the following day for being filmed in a hotel room paying 3000.00 to spend the night with a stripper.

But Terrence is special in the sense that he truly has belief in himself. It's something that can't be measured until the boxer asserts himself publically.

Crawford has taken the boldest stance in boxing by calling out Keith "Don't Duck Me Son" Thurman ... Erroll "Da Truth" Spence....and any other welterweight in the PBC's formidable stable to meet him in the ring to unify the belts....and nobody except Spence has chirped back.

To be fair Spence did speak up regarding Crawford's challenge months ago with equal confidence . On many occassions .
          His trainer even complimented BoMack's brazen remarks ....made on the behalf of Crawford. Derrick James said in several video's that BoMack is doing what he is supposed to do but he refuses to get into a verbal dust up on youtube and social media when a fight hasn't even been signed. Against a trainer he likes and respect...."I'm not playing that game" James remarks.

Now that the ultra-weird and even slightly creepy challenge of Mikey Garcia has been temporarily laid to rest due to the Robert Commey mandatory challenge ....
          Spence can focus on Porter ....who has finally said publically that he'd fight Spence next.

We'll see. Crawford was big and bad enough to stur the pot....Now lets see if Haman and Arum can suppy a large enough oven.

Bob has gone on record saying he will do whatever needs done to make this classic fight happen.
          And if it does ....for the first time in his career....I wont be rooting for Crawford. ....and If Spence loses, I'm even buying the cigars. (as long as they can be purchased at Walmart) it's that close.

This the final frontier for Crawford. ...147. No more easy fights.

Comment

Regardles of the recent loss to Canelo . . . .

I wouldn’t argue with anyone that (based on achievements and their boxing record) says the number 1 spot over the last 2 or 3 years belongs to Gennady Golovkin.

Check the unified, title, defence, and other records of both Triple and Crawford.

Crawford is not even close.

Cheers,

Storm.

Comment

Bud has this nice showcase fight in front of his hometown.

The opponent isn’t in the the top 10.

$100 on Jose gets you back about $2000.

The books say the fight isn’t going the distance.

If the fight goes 12 = +150.

Its odd no one mentions Jose in any of these comments.

The guy is undefeated, has considerably bigger and has a good pedigree.

Is Bud overlooking Jose ? Will he try and steamroll him?

This is Jose B’s Rocky moment, I’m rooting for the guy.

Dont forget Buds performance against Postol , BrownSugar mentioned it .

I think Jose will do much better than most people expect

Comment

I haven’t forgotten about Jose Benavidez D3.

Crawford’s best win/opponent was (a faded and outweighed) Gamboa.

That was a great fight.

So, based on that and how well Gamboa did you might say Jose Benavidez has a really good chance.

As, Benavidez does some of the things Gamboa excels in really well, and he is quite competent and not without some power.

But, (whilst I am not completely discounting him) I am just not sure what Jose’s experience with southpaws is.

Do you know?

Save possibly for Matty Strode (whom I don’t know what stance he has) I don’t think Benavidez has fought a top level lefty (let alone a switch hitter) in a while; let alone at welterweight.

And, if Bud works out a way inside those spider arms of Benavidez we know he can crack pretty good.

I like Bud and Benavidez; it won't bother me who wins.

To Frank; Horn asked for a rematch with Bud straight after Bud beat him.

Read into that what you will (as Bud destroyed Horn) but nevertheless it goes to your 7th paragraph (last sentence) comment. . . .

When is the last time a beaten Crawford opponent has asked for a rematch? Once Crawford beats them, they never want to have to think about him again”?

Cheers,

Storm.

Comment

I've actually heard several podcasters mention that they dont expect JB to roll over for Crawford ...could be a fun fight.

Comment

Horn asked for a rematch - with the stipulation that it was in Australia. Meaning he really didn't mean it fully aware it would never happen there.... Again, nobody asked to fight Crawford again, who was serious.

Comment

That must surely be the only even remotely plausible explanation available to you Frank.

Nice defence.

A little leaky, possibly unintentionally funny, and perhaps lacking some real substance under scrutiny.

But still, not too bad considering how vulnerable the initial claim was.

In any event (despite how futile the request may actually be) it seems that there is an opponent that Crawford has faced (Horn) that has requested a rematch.

Below link contains video of reporters and Horn acknowledging that Crawford agreed to a requested rematch after the fight.

It remains to be seen whether the rematch didn’t go ahead because of Crawford’s unwillingness to visit and fight in Australia and/or Horn’s reliance upon such hesitation/claims.

My money is on Arum not wanting any further part of Horn and his management/promotional team as being the chief reason the rematch didn’t go ahead; in any location.

In any event, as stated above - irrespective of any speculation as to why a rematch didn’t happen, including theories that may serve to plug up leaky claims that no Crawford opponent has called for a rematch (I’m just having fun Frank) - it seems there is an opponent that Crawford has faced (Horn) that has requested a rematch.

I agree the rematch would have the same outcome.

I don’t agree that Horn would not accept the rematch if it were in Australia, as there are many reasons that favor him having the rematch in Oz.

Even if Crawford didn’t agree to a rematch because it was destined for Australia; I am not sure that means Horn didn’t ask for one and would not have accepted it.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Storm.

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPWATER3 View Post
                        Bud has this nice showcase fight in front of his hometown.

The opponent isn’t in the the top 10.

$100 on Jose gets you back about $2000.

The books say the fight isn’t going the distance.

If the fight goes 12 = +150.

Its odd no one mentions Jose in any of these comments.

The guy is undefeated, has considerably bigger and has a good pedigree.

Is Bud overlooking Jose ? Will he try and steamroll him?

This is Jose B’s Rocky moment, I’m rooting for the guy.

Dont forget Buds performance against Postol , BrownSugar mentioned it .

I think Jose will do much better than most people expect
                        Deep, we see eye to eye on this one.

I think Benavidez gives Crawford a tougher test than most are anticipating. Benavidez is a good fighter and confident. He is also better than he was when he fought Herrera and Santana (fights he is being judged way too much on). The height of Benavidez I think we be an issue for Crawford at times in this fight. I think Benavidez fights more tactically while Crawford get over anxious going for the knockout given what has transpired in the lead up to this fight. And lets not forget too it is in Omaha and Crawford will press all that much more to put on a show.

All that said, I think Crawford does win. But as Lee Corso says on College Gameday this will be "closer than the experts think."

Comment

Crawford did what he always does....he came....he saw...and he conquered. Benavides showed good resistance and confidence early but was way too inactive after the sixth round.

I usually eat more of a vegan style diet but allowed myself a pizza to celebrate the fight and took a ten count by round 10. Didn't wake up till 4am to learn that TC won by KO in round 12.

JB had to overcome a huge deficit scoring wise by round ten but I didn't think he was going to succumb to a ko. Great job Crawford. He's not a Monster Inoue, but he delivered the KO as promised.

Thurman, Garcia, Porter, and Spence shouldn't have any misgivings about challenging Terence and should be lining up to fight him after they handle their current obligations ... Hopefully it'll be Spence.

Crawford is making the welterweights interesting again.
                          Last edited by brownsugar1; 10-14-2018, 01:33 AM.

Comment

Good fight.

Reasonably predictable outcome.

Probably shouldn’t say this but . . .

Not only Crawford (as BS says) but also FG-4592 is undoubtedly making the welter (and other) weights interesting.

Crawford was not short of breath at all coming out for the 12th round.

I could list many other boxers that seem to be in the same position, but I won’t.

It is duly noted though that TR sometimes adopts a somewhat curious approach to testing.

Cheers,

Storm.

Comment

Working...
                            X