No announcement yet.

Deontay Wilder-Tyson Fury Title Fight Ends in a Draw and Other Results in L.A.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Deontay Wilder-Tyson Fury Title Fight Ends in a Draw and Other Results in L.A.

    Click image for larger version  Name:	1Avila copy.jpg Views:	1 Size:	168.6 KB ID:	11529

    By David A. Avila

    LOS ANGELES-A British invasion led by Tyson Fury and his raucous followers could not overcome powerful Deontay Wilder who floored the giant gypsy twice to earn a split draw and retain the WBC heavyweight world title on Saturday.

    No one in the more than 15,000 fans in the building was satisfied.

    Only titleholder Wilder (40-0-1, 39 KOs) and lineal heavyweight champion Fury (27-0-1, 19 KOs) seemed satisfied after the decision was rendered at the Staples Center. The split draw keeps both fighters unbeaten and both also keep their titles.

    Still, it was a heavyweight spectacle.

    Fury seemed eager to have fun and eager to show off his defensive prowess against the hard-punching Wilder. Time after time Wilder’s windmill rights hit air as Fury slipped under the blows.

    British fans cheered loudly throughout the fight and hurled insults in unison in the eastern section of the arena where celebrities like Laker great Jerry West sat.

    Once the fight began the cheering got even louder.

    The fight itself was filled with head and body feints and both giant heavyweights willing to keep a distance. The few times they found themselves inside each other’s reach, Fury grabbed the slightly smaller Wilder who never resisted.

    Punches never reached triple digits in any round of the fight, but if there were a wind factor from the blows missed it would have reached hurricane forces.

    “I couldn’t let it go tonight,” said Wilder. “I was forcing my punches.”

    Though Wilder opened up the first three rounds slightly more aggressively, Fury began controlling the fight with his snapping combinations and long blows. Round after round Fury began mounting points.

    Fury got into a groove and seemed to be on cruise control when Wilder suddenly erupted in the ninth round with a right to the side of Fury’s head followed by a left hook. Down went Fury. He got up shaking his body a little and the fight resumed. Wilder tried to finish and Fury connected with a sneak left hook that connected. Wilder moved in more cautiously after that until the bell ended the ninth round.

    Fury regained control of round 10 with a more aggressive approach. Wilder seemed to be wary of that blow in the previous round and was more selective in his attack. It was a big Fury round and allowed him to grab back the momentum.

    In the 11thround Wilder returned to a more aggressive attack and was successful by attacking the body. Fury slowed to a crawl, perhaps thinking he was far ahead on the scorecards.

    “”I felt I did enough to win the fight,” Fury said

    The final round saw Fury connect with a solid one-two combination. The British fans roared with the success of their champion, but before you could say lickety-split, Wilder unloaded his own three-punch combination and connected with a right cross and left hook. Down went Fury hard and seemingly for good. But he picked himself off the ground and obeyed referee Jack Reiss''s commands. The fight resumed. Neither fighter could land another killing blow and the final bell rang.

    One judge scored it 115-111 for Wilder and another 114-112 for Fury. A third scored it 113-113 a draw and both do not suffer a loss on their records. A rematch seems inevitable.

    “With two knockdowns I feel I won the fight,” said Wilder. “I feel I did as much as he did.”

    Fury felt he won but seemed more than happy about surviving the knockdowns.

    “I got put down with some good shots,” said Fury with a big smile. “I came here tonight and gave my all.”

    Fans seemed to want more as they left the building.

    Other Bouts

    Multi super welterweight world titlist Jarrett Hurd (23-0,16 KOs) needed a few punches in the head by England’s Jason Welborn (24-7, 7 KOs) to ignite his mojo and win the fight by knockout with a solar plexus punch.

    Hurd, the IBF, IBO and WBA titlist, seemed to be stuck on defensive mode as he allowed the shorter Welborn to unload combinations on him the first three rounds. But when the British fighter got too cocky it unlocked the defensive shackles on Hurd and he opened up both guns full blast. A right uppercut to the solar plexus sunk Welborn to his knees and he was counted out at 1:55 of round four by referee Lou Moret.

    Heavyweight contender Luis Ortiz (30-1, 26 KOs) needed almost all 10 rounds to finally break down rugged Travis Kauffman (32-3, 23 KOs) and win by knockout at 1:58 of the 10thand final round. Ortiz knocked down Kauffman in the sixth, eighth, and 10thround. Then Ortiz followed up the last knockdown with an eight-punch barrage and had Kauffman on his heels. Referee Tom Taylor jumped in to stop the beating and give Ortiz the win by knockout.

    England’s Joe “The Juggernaut” Joyce (7-0, 7 KOs) blasted out American Joe Hanks (23-3, 15 KOs) at 2:25 of the first round of the heavyweight fight. The former Olympic medalist hurt Hanks with a lead right but didn’t realize it. Seconds later he fired another lead right followed by a left hook and knocked out Hanks at 2:25 of the round. Joyce wins the vacant WBA Continental title.

    Former multi-world champion Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero returned to boxing after a short retirement to win by knockout over Hungary’s Adam Mate (28-13, 21 KOs) in a welterweight match. Guerrero floored Mate with a double left to the head and body in the first round. In the second round a counter left cross dropped Mate who looked shaky. After continuing, Guerrero fired a quick one-two the dropped Mate again. Referee Ray Corona stopped the fight at 2:25 of the second round.

    Julian Williams (26-1, 16 KOs) knocked out Francisco Castro (28-9, 23 KOs) at 2:40 of the second round of their super welterweight clash. Williams fights out of Philadelphia and won his fourth consecutive fight since losing to Jermall Charlo.

    Marsellos Wilder (3-0) floored David Damore (1-5-3) with a five-punch combination in the second round and eventually won by unanimous decision after four cruiserweight rounds. All three judges scored it 40-35 for Wilder, brother of Deontay, who seemed disappointed by the inability to stop Damore who rallied the last two rounds.

    San Antonio’s Jessie Rodriguez (8-0, 4 KOs) won by unanimous decision over Houston’s Josue Morales (8-9-3) after six rounds in a light flyweight contest.

    And finally, in a bout that ran after the main event, Chris Arreola (37-5-1, 32 KOs) won by knockout at the end of round 6 over Houston's Maurenzo Smith (20-11-3) in a heavyweight fight. Arreola fights out of Riverside, Calif.

    Photo credit: Al Applerose

  • #2
    lol at "no excuses" Wilder and the count being long.

    No "excuses" but also, I think Fury was covered in baby oil.


    • #3
      It was a more exciting fight than I expected. And I also thought Fury won and did so by a wide margin despite the knockdowns. Wilder was looking too much for the one punch ko and though he did nearly get it in the end was getting out boxed for most of the night.


      • #4
        Fury said he didn't complain to basically prevent a gypsy riot.

        It's also strange crying robbery after two monster knockdowns.

        One coming in the last round....