Clear All

• A Boxing Aficionado’s Christmas Wish List

Click image for larger version

Name:	santa_claus_wearing_boxing_gloves.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	11707

By Ted Sares

It’s cold outside and there’s a deep cover of white snow on the ground. This aficionado is mulling over what he would want boxing-wise in 2019, while partaking in a warm eggnog mixed with Jameson and lighting up a Tenth Anniversary Perdomo. The background music includes Mile Davis’s’ legendary tribute to Jack Johnson. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8TdZFVj6tA It’s time to type in the list as follows:

A speedy and full recovery for Adonis “Superman” Stevenson.

For Roc Nation Sports to help Daniel Franco with his medical bills.

For Jermain Taylor to receive the help he so badly needs.

A third match between GGG and Canelo to settle the issue once and for all.

A second match between Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder, but this time in London at Wembley. Winner fights Anthony Joshua.

Jarrell “Big Baby” Miller vs. Luis “The Real King Kong” Ortiz with the winner facing the winner of Dereck Chisora vs. Dillian Whyte.

A match between Vasily Lomachenko and Gervonta Davis sooner rather than later, but not until Davis grows up.

Loma’s opponents coming down in weight rather than Loma going up.

Terence Crawford vs. Errol Spence Jr.

Gary Russell Jr. vs. Leo Santa Cruz.

Naoya Inoue vs. Luis Nery.

A continuing successful comeback by Roman “Chocolatito” Gonzalez.

For Andre Ward to come out of retirement and face a title holder.

For Joe Smith Jr.to avoid having his jaw broken and getting back into the mix by fighting Sean Monaghan for Irish and Long Island honors.

More exposure for Claressa Shields so that she is not lost in the shuffle of too many other female fights that lack her fan-friendly style

More televised action for Regis Prograis, Maurice Hooker, Teofimo Lopez, and Jaime Munguia.

For Mason Menard to retire. Too many bad stoppage losses.

Letting Manny Pacquiao retire in dignity by keeping him away from young lions like Crawford, Spence, etc.

The total and complete disappearance of Conor McGregor, Stephen A. Smith, and Shannon Briggs.

Now let’s get it on!

P.S. -- What about your wishes for 2019? Please let us know.

Ted Sares is one of the world’s oldest active power lifters and Strongman competitors. He is a lifetime member of Ring 10, and a member of Ring 4 and its Boxing Hall of Fame. He also is an Auxiliary Member of the Boxing Writers Association of America (BWAA).

Check out more boxing news on video at The Boxing Channel

I second the Jermain Taylor needing help issue.

I also wish Ted continues in 2019 to keep us up-to-date on the state of affairs re boxing.

Comment

• Kid Blast
      Kid Blast commented
      Editing a comment
      Great stuff Ted, no one covers this stuff better/more than you. BB

From Bernie Campbell:My wish list is to give this new Hvwt blood a crack to break the whole dam opened! Why isn't. Hvwt Ivan Dychko given any PR? Two Bronze medals. Kayoing everyone he faces in the pro ranks in the first round! And what of Croatian Hvwt Filllip Hrgovic? Set an all-time Compubox ratio of Connects to thrown against Kevin Johnson! Its a frigun Disney land with multiple Micky Mousse' running the show! Not good!

From Alan Swyer: Excellent.
      How about fewer total mismatches such as Canelo's so-called fight last night?

TED: You nailed it. Charley Dwyer
      Last edited by Kid Blast; 12-17-2018, 10:13 AM.

Originally posted by JohnnyTango View Post
    I second the Jermain Taylor needing help issue.

I also wish Ted continues in 2019 to keep us up-to-date on the state of affairs re boxing.
    I plan to good buddy.

Comment

My wish is for female prizefighting to continue its upward ascent.

David Avila

Comment

The unification of the heavyweight championship.

One wish, one name.

Comment

• Kid Blast
          Kid Blast commented
          Editing a comment
          Good one but don't hold your breath

If there's a sports TV personality more obnoxious that Steven A. Smith, I haven't met him yet. 30-40 years ago, when I was still active in boxing journalism, I would have straightened out this punk for sure.

Comment

Comment

Good read here Ted and I wholeheartedly agree with your wish list.

Glad to see you mention Daniel Franco. His situation has kind of gotten lost in the shuffle over time.

If I had something to add, it'd be that promoters and tv networks worth with each more in 2019 to avoid events going head to head. We had a lot of this occurring in 2018. And look how the year is ending, two dueling U.K. pay-per-view shows. We in the US have to choose between watching DAZN (Whyte-Chisora II) and Frampton-Warrington (ESPN+). It's time for those on the sport to start working with each other on common sense matters to help the sport grow even bigger to everyone's benefitinstead of always just strictly competing with one another.

Comment

• Kid Blast
              Kid Blast commented
              Editing a comment
              Excellent comments Matt. Sick of contrasting/conflicting matches

I like it Ted. Andre Ward our of retirement would be nice. Pacquiao to stay away from the ring. The gypsy king to rematch Wilder with the winner getting smashed by Joshua. Have a great Christmas Teddy. Keep them coming.

Comment

• Kid Blast
              Kid Blast commented
              Editing a comment
              You too good buddy.
          Working...
          X