Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mike Tyson's excuse for Holyfield loss is lame!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Tyson's excuse for Holyfield loss is lame!

Mike Tyson claims in his book Undisputed Truth that referee Mitch Halpern was drunk "as a skunk" during his fight against Evander Holyfield and Iron Mike blames the now dead ref for the sustained beating he took. Ever hear anything so ridiculous?

Mitch Halpern refereed the first Tyson-Holyfield fight. I knew him, although admittedly not very well. When he committed suicide in 2000 at age 33 it was a huge shock. He seemed to be a young man that had it all together, inside and outside the ring. His mentor Richard Steele said that he was potentially the best referee of all time.

Tyson's allegation is preposterous and it's a cheap shot against someone who can't defend himself. I haven't read the book but I'm guessing the real villain here is Tyson's ghostwriter Larry Sloman. It wouldn't be the first time that a ghostwriter invented a scandal to drum up more sales of his book.

Comment

Was Halpern known to be a drinker?

Comment

No.

Comment

I have not read the book either not have I ever heard Tyson make that claim.

Intersting to note, Tyson was present in Canastota at this past year's Hall of Fame weekend. He got up on stage at one point with Jim Gray and Steve Albert. Tyson openly talked about both the first and second Holyfield fights. He was honest in his assessment of the bouts and often drew laughter from the crowd with his statements. He never once said anything about Halpern either.

Comment

Mike is a self-described "vicious addict" and an alcoholic.

He was probably just projecting that onto the dead referee.

Comment

Originally posted by KO Digest View Post
              Was Halpern known to be a drinker?
              Mitch had some female/domestic issues that led to his suicide. That's the way I recall it anyway, but he was an extraordinary referee.

Comment

I always thought "they" got to him.

Like his life was something out of a boxing/mob movie.

Comment

Working...
                X