BWAA Writing Awards Announced: The Sweet Science Earns Multiple Citations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BWAA Writing Awards Announced: The Sweet Science Earns Multiple Citations

The Boxing Writers Association of America has announced their annual Bernie Awards which recognize excellence in boxing journalism. Five stories that ran on this web site earned commendations.

TSS editor-in-chief Arne K. Lang copped first place in the category “Boxing Feature Under 1,500 Words.” Springs Toledo and Thomas Hauser earned third place ribbons, Toledo in the category “Best Column” and Hauser in “Boxing Investigative Reporting,” a category in which he has excelled. In addition, TSS New England correspondent Jeffrey Freeman and Sean Nam earned Honorable Mentions, Freeman in “Boxing Feature Under 1,500 Words” and Nam for an investigative reporting piece.

Four TSS correspondents – Toledo, Hauser, Kelsey McCarson, and Nam – were honored for stories that appeared on other web sites.

Springs Toledo, who has had the most abundant haul of BWAA writing awards since 2010 was omnipresent once again, earning five citations overall including a first place finish for “Boxing Feature Over 1,500 Words.” The multi-decorated Thomas Hauser also achieved a first place finish, this in the category “Boxing News Story.” Kelsey McCarson tied for first in “Boxing Column” and Sean Nam came in third in “Boxing Feature Under 1500 Words.”

The full BWAA press release appears on the main page.

Congrats to the winners, especially our EIC Arne!

I'm pleased and proud to have earned my first point.

It was for this story where I also took the photo.
    Micky Ward, now 52, never quit on Lowell Mass. It’s the fighting city where in 1978 he first made his name in boxing as a baby-faced pipsqueak with dreams

Comment

• Kid Blast
      Kid Blast commented
      Editing a comment
      I called this one.

TSS rules

Comment

I really didn't think my Micky Ward Q&A had a chance at all as it was really just a straight up interview albeit with an extended lede and a clever title. I think maybe the judges just enjoyed the update on Ward as there hadn't really been one in a while and that's why it stood out to them, the sentimentality of it also, not because it was some literary accomplishment. Those Gatti-Ward fights loom large in the memories of many people. Granted, "win, lose or die" might've helped as a metaphor for Ward and the location (The Roxy) was key too. And it was St. Patty's day!

So happy to be recognized by the BWAA and to be able to improve and grow as a boxing journalist. I have my first point earned here but the assist goes to my friend Kevin McBride. He was hanging out with Micky that night and when they came in as a group, McBride came right for me to say hello to (I was angling for Micky to do the interview) and Ward saw this interaction which lent credibility to me as Ward knows me but not quite like Kevin does. I told Kevin why I was there (to interview Micky) and before Micky could disappear into the demands of the crowd, Kevin was telling Micky, "yo Mick this guy is a good writer you gotta go do the interview with him now." How awesome is that?

He did.

On a small red couch in view of the ring.

Comment

A definite congratulations to all on these awards. Very well earned.

Comment

Originally posted by KO Digest View Post
          I really didn't think my Micky Ward Q&A had a chance at all as it was really just a straight up interview albeit with an extended lede and a clever title. I think maybe the judges just enjoyed the update on Ward as there hadn't really been one in a while and that's why it stood out to them, the sentimentality of it also, not because it was some literary accomplishment. Those Gatti-Ward fights loom large in the memories of many people. Granted, "win, lose or die" might've helped as a metaphor for Ward and the location (The Roxy) was key too. And it was St. Patty's day!

So happy to be recognized by the BWAA and to be able to improve and grow as a boxing journalist. I have my first point earned here but the assist goes to my friend Kevin McBride. He was hanging out with Micky that night and when they came in as a group, McBride came right for me to say hello to (I was angling for Micky to do the interview) and Ward saw this interaction which lent credibility to me as Ward knows me but not quite like Kevin does. I told Kevin why I was there (to interview Micky) and before Micky could disappear into the demands of the crowd, Kevin was telling Micky, "yo Mick this guy is a good writer you gotta go do the interview with him now." How awesome is that?

He did.

On a small red couch in view of the ring.
          Congrats KO. I spent some time with McBride HOF weekend in 2017 and have a neat photo op with him from that experience. He is quite a character and was fun to hang around for a little while.

Comment

Kevin is fun to be around. Thanks Matt!

Comment

• Kid Blast
              Kid Blast commented
              Editing a comment
              He is a fellow-member of Ring 4.
          Working...
          X