Mad Max and Manny

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mad Max and Manny

Click image for larger version  Name:	Manny salutes the crowd.jpg Views:	1 Size:	121.4 KB ID:	13722

By Ted Sares

The crowd chants “Manny, Manny, Manny” at the weigh-in at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas and Pacquaio’s beloved Pinoy fans are going wild. It’s a BIG event, bigger even than many heavyweight title fights.

Max

Meanwhile, Maxim “Mad Max” Dadashev’s wife Elizabeth is flying from her home in St. Petersburg, Russia, to be with her husband at a hospital in Maryland. Dadashev was critically injured on Friday night while suffering an upset loss to heavy-handed Puerto Rican bomber Subriel Matias at another MGM property, the MGM National Harbor in Oxon Hill, Maryland.

Dadashev, 28, was 281-20 as an amateur, undefeated in 13 professional fights, and the IBF's third-ranked junior welterweight, but Matias had his number and dominated throughout in a tough and grinding affair.

]
    Maxim Dadashev

At the end of the 11th round, Buddy McGirt told his fighter, "I'm going to stop it, Max." Dadshev protested. Maybe Max’s brain signaled no, maybe not. But his heart surely said “I’m not done.”

McGirt overruled him, a sage move, but unbeknownst to anyone the damage had been done and it was severe.

“He had one hell of a fight,” McGirt told the Washington Post. “Tough fight, tough fight; took a lot of tough body shots. I just think it was time to stop it. He was getting hit with too many shots. I said to him, ‘I’m stopping it.’ He said, ‘No, don’t.’”

The scores at the time of the stoppage were 109-100, 108-101 and 107-102 in favor of Matias. According to CompuBox, Matias out-landed Dadashev 319-157; 112 of Matias' punches were body shots.

Max was stretchered out of the arena and rushed to UM Prince George's Hospital where his skull was opened up to relieve the pressure caused by bleeding. The cavity reveals brain damage, and memories of Mago surface. The dreaded and familiar scenario then begins as he is put into an induced coma. Hopefully, the swelling goes down, the bleeding stops, and no blood clot appears as the later would make a terrible situation grave. In any event, Max will never box again. His well-publicized dream to win a world title will not be fulfilled.

In a post-fight interview, ESPN’s ringside analyst Tim Bradley said, “That’s a scary situation and every time you step foot in the ring you know that was always the talk that I would have with my wife. You know before I would step foot in the ring, I would sit her down, I would look at her and I would say, ‘Look at me, honey. Take a good look at me, open your eyes wide open because I might not come out the ring, for one, and I know I’m not coming out of the ring the same way that I came in.’”

Manny

Back to the big fight the following evening:

The crowd chants “Manny, Manny, Manny” as he enters the ring to battle Keith Thurman for still another championship as his worshipers are now virtually in a state of mass hysteria and begin singing and cheering loudly. The scene borders on the surreal.

Across the Pond

Earlier on Saturday, across the pond in London, heavyweight David Allen took a bad beating from 6’9” David Price and required oxygen. He also was stretchered out and sent to a hospital, adding to the angst. But he will be okay. According to his promoter, Eddie Hearn, Allen had a broken orbital bone and a damaged tongue, but brain scans suggested he was okay.

David Allen -- "Very happy and proud of David Price. I will be okay, but the last 12 months or so my health has been deteriorating and I'm glad I hung on, took the chance, and made money. [I'm] now probably done."

“Manny, Manny, Manny”

In Las Vegas, Manny has decked Thurman in the first round and the place is delirious. The crowd senses that this is his night although Thurman is not backing up. In the tenth, Pac almost puts “One Time” away after landing a devastating body punch.

Finally, the fight is over and Manny is declared the winner. The decibel count goes off the chart as the Pinoys sing “We Are The Champions.” Viewers hit the mute button. These are not fans as much as they are cultists. One wonders if those who are chanting even know that this has been a week where boxing exposed its grim side.

Photo credit: Al Applerose

Ted Sares is a member of Ring 8, a lifetime member of Ring 10, and a member of Ring 4 and its Boxing Hall of Fame. He also is an Auxiliary Member of the Boxing Writers Association of America (BWAA). He is an active power lifter and Strongman competitor in the Master Class.

Check out more boxing news on video at The Boxing Channel

Excellent and informative article by one of boxing's best writers. Well done Ted.

Comment

• Kid Blast
      Kid Blast commented
      Editing a comment
      From Robert Mlandinich: Good one, Ted. Very sad about the Russian. Classy comments from the guy who lost to Price. Manny, just a class act and a phenomenal fighter. He has a glow around him

Johnny Tango: Nice piece, Ted. Unfortunately, I was unable to watch the fight but thanks for filling me in.
      Last edited by Kid Blast; 07-23-2019, 01:19 PM.

Originally posted by Ron Lipton View Post
    Excellent and informative article by one of boxing's best writers. Well done Ted.
    Thank you Ron.

Comment

There was still more excessive violence as Del-Bot caught southpaw Pole Szpilka on the ropes and smashed a right hand that badly hurt "The Pin". Then, after launching a savage follow-up attack, Chisora wiped out Szpilka with a devastating right hand to the head. The Pole was out on his feet and fell to the canvas with a sickening thud. It was chilling. For a time fans were concerned about the well-being of Szpilka. Thankfully he was okay, but he should quit NOW.

An extraordinary weekend of violence that reminded me of when Duran slaughtered Davey Moore and Resto barehanded Billy Collins into purple pulp.

Comment

Szpilka needs to find another profession. He is getting KO'd very badly too often now.

The sad Maxim situation reminds me that trolls who call boxers "bums" or "cowards" online should be banned from whatever site they posted on.

Comment

• Kid Blast
          Kid Blast commented
          Editing a comment
          100% agreement on both accounts

Teddy Atlas
          ✔ @TeddyAtlasReal

I - and I’m sure all of us who are boxing fans, and even just those who care about other people - are thinking of and praying for Maxim Dadashev to recover from the injuries he suffered in last night’s fight. When one hurts we all hurt. Get better. #DadashevMatias #MatiasDadashev

2:51 PM - Jul 20, 2019
          Last edited by Kid Blast; 07-23-2019, 08:29 AM.

No arguments from me here Ted, surely one of your best and quite thought provoking. On one hand you have the Manny Euphoria and the other the real risk in boxing. This was eloquently put “out there” Ted like only you can. I have a question for you after this piece. Would you bring back head guards for Pro boxing!?!

Do you think in this day and age that a new “guard” could be developed that helps to protect brain injuries but while still retains the traditions of boxing!?! A “half-guard” if you like

i very much enjoyed this one Sir Ted. The description of the pain the wife will be going through prompted me to pose the question above.

keep them coming

Comment

• Kid Blast
          Kid Blast commented
          Editing a comment
          That was very, very kind of you Cupey. I'm glad you enjoyed the counter-point technique I used.

To answer your question, I would not bring head guards to pro boxing. Mt thinking is that most damage is done during sparring when boxers use protection, so why use it in an actual fight? I suspect boxing will be banned at some point, but later rather than sooner.

Russian boxer Maxim Dadashev dies at 28 from injuries sustained in fight. I'm totally gutted. My heart is heavy and my eyes are wet. This is horrific news. This is boxing but dammit, this kid had such a great potential. He leaves a wife and child.

Please, Lord, look over him and grant him eternal peace and comfort.
        Last edited by Kid Blast; 07-23-2019, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Amen.

Comment

Read it a few hours earlier. Truly awful. All those amateur fights. Bit lost for words really.

Comment

• Kid Blast
              Kid Blast commented
              Editing a comment
              I think we all our. Stunned.

Rest In Peace Max. 🙏

Comment

• Kid Blast
              Kid Blast commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes. .......................................

I'm not writing the story that's for sure but this awful tragedy and others like it beg the question, if not the headline: Who is better off after boxing takes its ugly toll? Magomed or Maxim?

Comment

• Kid Blast
              Kid Blast commented
              Editing a comment
              I understand the nuance (I hate that word but it fits). The same holds true for Wilfred Benitez who requires constant care and gets it from his family and friends in Chicago. It's just so very tragic. As an aside, I spend a lot of time trying to help boxers in need and it helps to quash whatever guilty pleasure I get from boxing, but it makes me wonder whether the entire thing should be banned.

John Scully has provided this.

Comment

• Kid Blast
              Kid Blast commented
              Editing a comment
              He does more than anyone to help boxers in need.

After 5 days of agony, Argentine boxer Hugo Santillán, 23, passed away this morning. after draw. Two in one week. Horrible.

Comment

Here's the truth: Not all fighting men are created equally because if they were, Mago or Maxim might be enjoying life today the same as George Foreman or George Chuvalo or Marvin Hagler, all of whom are healthy and quite alright from their time spent in the ring eating fists flush. The same beating that destroys and/kills one man might have little to no effect on another man who's body and mind are for whatever reason better equipped to take the hits, keep on coming, and actually heal/recover. Does anybody dispute that the punishment Mago took from Mike Perez was similar to what Foreman took against Stewart (and others) and despite looking like a horror movie in there with head swelling and blood from his eyes, George was not "hurt" or damaged permanently. Foreman is/was built (by God) with extraordinarily constitution. There have been others like this throughout history, we usually marvel at their chins. And likewise there are those that lose their first tough fight pretty badly and they retire because they know they just can't hack it.

No shame in that, knowing thy self.

Comment

• Kid Blast
                Kid Blast commented
                Editing a comment
                But Chuvalo now has Pugilistica Dementia and is in a very bad way. Sorry to tell you this because it is very sad and shocking news.
                Last edited by Kid Blast; 07-26-2019, 08:21 PM.

Originally posted by KO Digest View Post
              Here's the truth: Not all fighting men are created equally because if they were, Mago or Maxim might be enjoying life today the same as George Foreman or George Chuvalo or Marvin Hagler, all of whom are healthy and quite alright from their time spent in the ring eating fists flush. The same beating that destroys and/kills one man might have little to no effect on another man who's body and mind are for whatever reason better equipped to take the hits, keep on coming, and actually heal/recover. Does anybody dispute that the punishment Mago took from Mike Perez was similar to what Foreman took against Stewart (and others) and despite looking like a horror movie in there with head swelling and blood from his eyes, George was not "hurt" or damaged permanently. Foreman is/was built (by God) with extraordinarily constitution. There have been others like this throughout history, we usually marvel at their chins. And likewise there are those that lose their first tough fight pretty badly and they retire because they know they just can't hack it.

No shame in that, knowing thy self.
              Boxing addicts never ascribe a bad injury or even ring fatality to something called “The Dark Side of Boxing” unless it occurred when safety precautions were not in place and when more could have been done to prevent the tragedy such as in the case of Greg Page and Michael Watson. However, addicts well know that if the incident arose from the culture of boxing; that is, that all of the safety precautions were in place---and that everything that could be done was done such as was the case of Leavander Johnson and Adonis Stevenson—then the sport is not culpable.
              “It’s this simple: if you can’t live with Leavander Johnson’s death, then you ban boxing, because this one came right out of the culture of the sport. There is no obvious flashpoint for criticism or culpability here. Johnson died in the best of boxing circumstances. Either the entire sport is unforgiveable, or this was an unfortunate accident which must be accepted as part of the life. -Jim Lampley, The Huffington Post, i September 27, 2005

Comment

Working...
              X