Adrien Broner's Career Legacy Will Be One of What Could Have Been

ForumAdmin1

Administrator
Staff member
adrien-broners-career-legacy.jpg

BY FRANK LOTIERZO

"I'm on a different level than him. I'm going to prove it on Saturday. I don't worry about any of the negativity that surrounds my name. I'm just ready to go put on a show. I'm taking over this year. It all starts with Jessie Vargas on Saturday night. I'm going to be myself and put on a great show,” said Adrien Broner the day before fighting Jessie Vargas this past Saturday.

In Broner's world five rounds of a 12-round fight must constitute a show.

Broner fought Vargas in a 144-pound catch-weight bout that ended in a majority draw (115-113 Broner and 114-114 twice). It was a crossroads fight for both who were in search of their signature win and everything we thought about both fighters before the fight, played out as expected. The fight went the distance, as anticipated, it was close, and as mentioned in my preview, I felt it was going to be hard for Vargas to win a close decision (I had it 115-113 Vargas) due to Broner 33-3-1 (24) being the more marketable fighter.

Jessie Vargas 28-2-1 (10) was everything most thought he was. He fought from bell-to-bell, he let his hands go, he never stopped trying although he slowed a bit beginning around the seventh round (and that very well may be attributed to him having to get down to the contract weight of 144 pounds). He worked Broner's body on both sides, pushed the fight with a steady jab and landed some solid rights to Broner's head. Jessie's only issue was he's not much of a puncher and never had Broner hurt or looking like he wanted to be somewhere else. And because of that, along with a verbal thrashing by trainer Kevin Cunningham between rounds, Adrien finally began to open up as if the result mattered; only he did it a little too late and killed any chance he had to win the fight conclusively.

Two things stood out regarding Adrien Broner after this bout: one, he can change, and two, based on his history and mental makeup, I doubt he will ever change. Firstly, he should never fight any higher than junior welterweight -- and if what was reported on the Showtime broadcast is true and he can make 135, then that's where he should fight. At 144 and over Broner is 2-2-1 and doesn't have fight altering power. This becomes an even bigger factor due to him being a fighter who only cuts loose in spurts and looks for the highlight reel counters; sometimes he gets them and sometimes he doesn't, and when he doesn't, he's out-worked in the process and loses rounds looking for them.

During the course of the 12 rounds, it was painfully obvious that he was the more gifted fighter with more tools and greater speed and had a good chin. Adrien can put together terrific combinations with speed and accuracy when he wants to or believes it's necessary, the problem is he doesn't fight with urgency and he's too complacent…something that if it hasn't changed by now after nearly 40 pro bouts including at least 10 against contenders and title holders with so much on the line when he fights, it never will. It's impossible not to see that Broner isn't in love with boxing and only does it for the money and status it brings him. He hasn't improved and doesn't have a real fighter's IQ, just physical gifts and he's not even sure how or when to use them. In fact, Broner is every bit as physically skilled as his mentor Floyd Mayweather - the difference is that once Floyd had gleaned that he was better off bringing the fight to Vargas so he could go first and then wait to counter the counter, he would've forced-fed it to Jessie all night instead of doing it in spurts.

Saturday night Broner was in with a fighter he should've defeated and he failed to win. Vargas was most likely weakened by the catch-weight of 144 and faded late but still gutted it out during the final two rounds. Had Broner started the fight with a little more intensity he wouldn't have been fighting from behind the entire way. It took a huge rally just to salvage a draw. No disrespect to Vargas, but he was basically having his way, especially in the early going, because Broner wasn't doing much and kept his hands in his pockets.

Nearly every time Broner initiated the action, Vargas was beaten to the punch and only his grit and work rate enabled him to stabilize what could've been one-sided exchanges. Add to that, Broner's technique and the fluidity of his combinations were much more eye grabbing than Vargas's somewhat forced clubbing, which helps sway the judges in close rounds. But the gulf in ability between he and Vargas didn't matter because Broner, as usual, just didn't do enough work for large gaps during crucial rounds.

When he was focused, Broner had some big moments exhibiting the flash and excitement he's capable of and the judges apparently awarded him every close round. Yes, it was a slightly better showing than his last time out versus Mikey Garcia, but it wasn't long ago that a declining Manny Pacquiao handled Vargas with ease. And if Kevin Cunningham wasn't driving him so hard to pick it up between rounds Broner would not have finished as strong as he did and that ended up being the difference between losing and salvaging a draw so he lives on for one more good payday.

Like former heavyweight contender David Tua, Adrien Broner is an underachiever, only luckier. Tua was a wrecking machine when he was in shape and let his hands go, and happened to score stoppage wins over four fighters (John Ruiz, Oleg Maskaev, Hasim Rahman and Michael Moorer) who won a piece of the heavyweight title, something he never realized. And that's because Tua happened to catch Lennox Lewis on one of his better nights and lost a lopsided decision. Broner has won titles at 130, 135, 140 and 147 but never defeated any opponent better than the fighters Tua did; he just happened to do it when they held the title.

Regardless of the glowing reports that often emanated from the gym leading up to their big fights, Tua and Broner, except on a few occasions, seldom lived up to what many believed their ceiling could've been. Tua was one of the biggest single shot punchers I've seen since George Foreman circa 1973-76 but he rarely fought as if winning meant living and losing represented dying. And as stated earlier, Broner has the same requisite tools as Mayweather but lacks Floyd’s ring IQ and heart and willingness to learn and improve. In other words, he lacks the high-performance motor gifted fighters often require to fight up to their potential.

Once again a generous decision enabled Broner to escape career suicide but one can't help but think the sand is almost through the hour glass at age 28. Sure, fans will tune in to see him fight Vargas again or another name opponent, but the expectation of a signature performance from Adrien Broner no longer exists and sadly the only thing people will remember, aside from his in-ring interviews after his fights, is that his efforts left so much on the table.

Photo credit: Amanda Westcott / SHOWTIME

Frank Lotierzo can be contacted at GlovedFist@Gmail.com

You may well be right but I hope not. I do enjoy watching him in the ring as he still has great talent and skills even if he uses them too late in a fight. When he does implode, it will be outside of the ring---perhaps with still more children from more different wives simply overwhelming him. Also, giving interviews while talking a foul dump is not a good idea nor is flushing 100 dollar bills down the toilet. But perhaps the foulest of the all (depending, of course, on one's personal tastes--no pun intended) is watching him on the stage of a Florida strip joint doing things with sweaty strippers that shall be left unmentioned here. Yeah, the implosion will occur as the warning signs have been flashing for years now. Also, he needs to pick his spots better and take a few easy fights to get back on track before he loses another to a top-tier fighter. Good stuff Frank.

I don’t know.

I didn’t think I would ever think/write this, but . . .

I still think he’s extremely marketable and has some potential.

I always knew Broner would be a problem for Vargas if he could get himself into shape.

Broner left his home town and went and trained with Cunningham (Alexander’s trainer) whom is pretty no nonsense; so that takes some commitment.

Broner has proven he can run with Porter and a few others at the top in welterweight; Vargas included.

The fact that he got himself down in weight and into shape to (even though it was a draw on the cards) beat up Vargas, shows me something.

If . . .

And it’s probably a big “IF” . . .

If Broner can stay in shape and out of trouble, he could still make something of his career.

Broner V Danny Garcia would be interesting.

Broner (at a time when he wasn’t really committing himself) didn’t get too busted up and/or blown out by Mikey Garcia’ although he clearly lost.

Spence would probably annihilate him.

As may Crawford; but that fight could probably take place at light welterweight which might suit Broner better.

Kahn is chasing him also, and that would be interesting too.

Kahn is faster than Broner and longer; and Broner has difficulty with anyone fast and long; as he does his best work close/medium range.

But then Broner has a good chin and can counter well; 2 things Kahn appreciates.

Kahn would probably annihilate him if he can remain composed enough to stay at distance.

A fight with Kahn would generate big money for Broner, and that (plus Kahn’s vulnerabilities) may entice him.

There are a lot of good opportunities out there for Kahn too; if he continues to stay in the gym.

He’s probably got some of the fastest hands in the business right now at welterweight.

He (has a lot of experience with southpaws, and) could trouble Spence if he stays long/fast.

His speed would trouble Mikey Garcia.

Rematch with Danny Garcia may result differently provided Kahn stays long.

A match with Brook would be interesting too.

Because if Spence hurts/beats Brook then - provided he stays long and the fight is at welterweight - there is a possibility Kahn could too.

Kahn’s speed will be a problem for many guys, and if he starts to adopt a fight strategy that plays into his strengths rather than weaknesses then that makes him very fast, experienced and dangerous.

Kahn has the;
A) Popularity to pull together a big fight that could entice Broner.

B) Ability to knock Broner out.

C) Ability to be knocked out by Broner.​

Interesting.

Cheers,

Storm.

:) :)

Thanks, Ted!

Broner lacks the motor to reach his potential.

A fight with Khan could be a bad mistake. Khan is usually a very fast starter, while Broner is just the opposite. If Broner can get Khan into the late rounds, he has a very good chance to beat him (think Maidana vs. Khan even though Khan won). Another thing in AB's favor is his chin. Khan is chinny, of course. I'd much prefer to see Danny Garcia fight Khan again and wax him again, but the AB fight would yield big bucks for both fighters. Some interesting options for a guy who was on the crossroads just last week. AB remains a curiosity piece and even had the crowd chanting his initials in Barclay's.

Bottom line. I hope he continues to fight before his external implosion occurs.

Great read. While I have heard several times that Broner has the potential to be better than he is and I agree with that, I have to ask would that put him that much higher than he is now?

Sure, he has a personality, even if it is a grating one at times, which makes him marketable.

He has a decent trainer now.

He seems to be in pretty good shape for most of his fights.

He has some power, pretty good quickness, and ok feet. He also has an ok beard.

However, even if he fills what we think is the gap between where he is and where his apex could be, is he that much higher in terms of quality fighter if he does? His bouts with B+ or higher quality opponents have been clear beatings. Mikey whitewashed him, Maidana clubbed him, and Porter bullied him. If Broner fulfilled potential, I think the decisions while closer, are not any different.

Maybe I am wrong, but is the thought of what could be a little bit overstated when it comes to Broner?

In terms of Khan, I think Khan smokes him.

Great read. While I have heard several times that Broner has the potential to be better than he is and I agree with that, I have to ask would that put him that much higher than he is now?

Sure, he has a personality, even if it is a grating one at times, which makes him marketable.

However, even if he fills what we think is the gap between where he is and where his apex could be, is he that much higher in terms of quality fighter if he does? His bouts with B+ or higher quality opponents have been clear beatings. Mikey whitewashed him, Maidana clubbed him, and Porter bullied him. If Broner fulfilled potential, I think the decisions while closer, are not any different.

Maybe I am wrong, but is the thought of what could be a little bit overstated when it comes to Broner?

I think if AB starts using his great right lead early in a fight and engages in more fire-fight-type exchanges, he can be exceptional. At one time, many said (me included) that he would be the next Mayweather. I think you have to compartmentalize the personality from the boxer--which you have done. And Porter was decked late by AB. As for Khan, that's a bold call, Doctor. But you may just have the beat.

BY FRANK LOTIERZO

"I'm on a different level than him. I'm going to prove it on Saturday. I don't worry about any of the negativity that surrounds my name. I'm just ready to go put on a show. I'm taking over this year. It all starts with Jessie Vargas on Saturday night. I'm going to be myself and put on a great show,” said Adrien Broner the day before fighting Jessie Vargas this past Saturday.

In Broner's world five rounds of a 12-round fight must constitute a show.

Broner fought Vargas in a 144-pound catch-weight bout that ended in a majority draw (115-113 Broner and 114-114 twice). It was a crossroads fight for both who were in search of their signature win and everything we thought about both fighters before the fight, played out as expected. The fight went the distance, as anticipated, it was close, and as mentioned in my preview, I felt it was going to be hard for Vargas to win a close decision (I had it 115-113 Vargas) due to Broner 33-3-1 (24) being the more marketable fighter.

Jessie Vargas 28-2-1 (10) was everything most thought he was. He fought from bell-to-bell, he let his hands go, he never stopped trying although he slowed a bit beginning around the seventh round (and that very well may be attributed to him having to get down to the contract weight of 144 pounds). He worked Broner's body on both sides, pushed the fight with a steady jab and landed some solid rights to Broner's head. Jessie's only issue was he's not much of a puncher and never had Broner hurt or looking like he wanted to be somewhere else. And because of that, along with a verbal thrashing by trainer Kevin Cunningham between rounds, Adrien finally began to open up as if the result mattered; only he did it a little too late and killed any chance he had to win the fight conclusively.

Two things stood out regarding Adrien Broner after this bout: one, he can change, and two, based on his history and mental makeup, I doubt he will ever change. Firstly, he should never fight any higher than junior welterweight -- and if what was reported on the Showtime broadcast is true and he can make 135, then that's where he should fight. At 144 and over Broner is 2-2-1 and doesn't have fight altering power. This becomes an even bigger factor due to him being a fighter who only cuts loose in spurts and looks for the highlight reel counters; sometimes he gets them and sometimes he doesn't, and when he doesn't, he's out-worked in the process and loses rounds looking for them.

During the course of the 12 rounds, it was painfully obvious that he was the more gifted fighter with more tools and greater speed and had a good chin. Adrien can put together terrific combinations with speed and accuracy when he wants to or believes it's necessary, the problem is he doesn't fight with urgency and he's too complacent…something that if it hasn't changed by now after nearly 40 pro bouts including at least 10 against contenders and title holders with so much on the line when he fights, it never will. It's impossible not to see that Broner isn't in love with boxing and only does it for the money and status it brings him. He hasn't improved and doesn't have a real fighter's IQ, just physical gifts and he's not even sure how or when to use them. In fact, Broner is every bit as physically skilled as his mentor Floyd Mayweather - the difference is that once Floyd had gleaned that he was better off bringing the fight to Vargas so he could go first and then wait to counter the counter, he would've forced-fed it to Jessie all night instead of doing it in spurts.

Saturday night Broner was in with a fighter he should've defeated and he failed to win. Vargas was most likely weakened by the catch-weight of 144 and faded late but still gutted it out during the final two rounds. Had Broner started the fight with a little more intensity he wouldn't have been fighting from behind the entire way. It took a huge rally just to salvage a draw. No disrespect to Vargas, but he was basically having his way, especially in the early going, because Broner wasn't doing much and kept his hands in his pockets.

Nearly every time Broner initiated the action, Vargas was beaten to the punch and only his grit and work rate enabled him to stabilize what could've been one-sided exchanges. Add to that, Broner's technique and the fluidity of his combinations were much more eye grabbing than Vargas's somewhat forced clubbing, which helps sway the judges in close rounds. But the gulf in ability between he and Vargas didn't matter because Broner, as usual, just didn't do enough work for large gaps during crucial rounds.

When he was focused, Broner had some big moments exhibiting the flash and excitement he's capable of and the judges apparently awarded him every close round. Yes, it was a slightly better showing than his last time out versus Mikey Garcia, but it wasn't long ago that a declining Manny Pacquiao handled Vargas with ease. And if Kevin Cunningham wasn't driving him so hard to pick it up between rounds Broner would not have finished as strong as he did and that ended up being the difference between losing and salvaging a draw so he lives on for one more good payday.

Like former heavyweight contender David Tua, Adrien Broner is an underachiever, only luckier. Tua was a wrecking machine when he was in shape and let his hands go, and happened to score stoppage wins over four fighters (John Ruiz, Oleg Maskaev, Hasim Rahman and Michael Moorer) who won a piece of the heavyweight title, something he never realized. And that's because Tua happened to catch Lennox Lewis on one of his better nights and lost a lopsided decision. Broner has won titles at 130, 135, 140 and 147 but never defeated any opponent better than the fighters Tua did; he just happened to do it when they held the title.

Regardless of the glowing reports that often emanated from the gym leading up to their big fights, Tua and Broner, except on a few occasions, seldom lived up to what many believed their ceiling could've been. Tua was one of the biggest single shot punchers I've seen since George Foreman circa 1973-76 but he rarely fought as if winning meant living and losing represented dying. And as stated earlier, Broner has the same requisite tools as Mayweather but lacks Floyd’s ring IQ and heart and willingness to learn and improve. In other words, he lacks the high-performance motor gifted fighters often require to fight up to their potential.

Once again a generous decision enabled Broner to escape career suicide but one can't help but think the sand is almost through the hour glass at age 28. Sure, fans will tune in to see him fight Vargas again or another name opponent, but the expectation of a signature performance from Adrien Broner no longer exists and sadly the only thing people will remember, aside from his in-ring interviews after his fights, is that his efforts left so much on the table.

Photo credit: Amanda Westcott / SHOWTIME

Frank Lotierzo can be contacted at GlovedFist@Gmail.com

i heard several accounts that the pungent stench of cannibis was so strong in the Barclays that the fighters who participated in saturdays event are in jeopardy of failing their post fight drug tests.

Supposedly all manner of squabbles, beefs, and pockets of altercations broke out all over the area.
Good thing The management of The Barclays had the foresight to hire additional security including a Battalion of National Guardmen and an extra pallet of tear gas and stun grenades To manage the chaos.... Im told Shock Troops were staged around every corner uneasily fingering the triggers on their assault rifles while managing the hostile crowd who resembled a hybrid between an audience at a death-metal concert merged with a battle-rap show.

I think I'd rather be a doorman in a trap house on the 20th floor of a slum tenement building with broken elavators and no airconditioning

That's why I always watch Broner's Shows from the relative safety of my couch rather than traveling 2 hours to Cincinnatti whenever he fights at home.
But there is no doubt that Broner sells tickets, increases viewership (2nd behind Wilder) and almost always fights on stacked cards, where the action is srpead wall-to-wall.
Broner's ego will keep him in the mix until his body refuses to cooperate....like a fading David Haye ...his physical ability and his ruthfully engaging personality is simply his ticket to ride the celebrity train. For as long as it lasts...by then he will have earned a place alongside Malignacci if he can survive his legal woes.

This man is not seeking the hall of fame, he's simply seeking the perks of fame....in my opinion.

Great Read!!

Last edited:

Yes, provided Kahn *continues to stay in the gym, works on *defence, and fights to his *advantages . . . .

He probably does smoke Broner.

Too fast and long.

Kahn has good (not brilliant) footwork, so Broner probably won’t be able to get close enough to do effective work.

Given the *above-mentioned provisos Kahn would most likely stop Vargas too.

Too much hand speed.

Cheers,

Storm.

Broner had so much potential and yeah he accomplished a lot in the ring but Frank is correct in that he could have accomplished so much more with his natural gifts. Set aside the outside the ring stuff (which I know is tough), inside the ring Broner always fought in this style of refusing to let his hands go unless he felt he was in total control of things in the ring. He had so many dead spots in his fights and led to him getting outhustled when he stepped up on class. Plus, defensively though he thought he mastered the shoulder roll and other tricks he was always quite vulnerable when his opposition let their hands flow.

Broner is far from done though and we will still be seeing plenty of him win, lose or draw in the future. For whatever reason, he is a marketable fighter. I don't see a rematch happening with Vargas but could see Broner getting a dates down the road with several of the fighters from the PBC camp.

Last edited:
Broner had so much potential and yeah he accomplished a lot in the ring but Frank is correct in that he could have accomplished so much more with his natural gifts. Set aside the outside the ring stuff (which I know is tough), inside the ring Broner always fought in this style of refusing to let his hands go unless he felt he was in total control of things in the ring. He had so many dead spots in his fights and led to him getting outhustled when he stepped up on class. Plus, defensively though he thought he mastered the shoulder roll and other tricks he was always quite vulnerable when his opposition let their hands flow.

Broner is far from done though and we will still be seeing plenty of him win, lose or draw in the future. For whatever reason, he is a marketable fighter. I don't see a rematch happening with Vargas but could see Broner getting a dates down the road with several of the fighters from the PBC camp.

Spot on.

Broner (whether he knows/understands it or not) is and will always be all that he wants to be.

God, I wish he was in my gym was I was younger; I would have loved it id he started talking smack with me.

That said, he has won me over with his recent pre-fight cameo performance

That was funny.

His performance in the ring wasn't bad either.

He is a better boxer than Vargas without really trying hard.

Who you got between Loma and Linares (and why) OBC?

Cheers,

Storm.

PS:
One of the very best EDM tunes right here. This one has been my favorite for a loooong time. It's just beautiful.

I agree but it will be against very calculated competition. You are right in that he is marketable but the ship has sailed on him being great. If PBC wants to milk his marketability for all it's worth, he better not see a good fighter across from him.

You don't often get beat like he did against Mikey and then become great. The thought of him being in there with the best 6 or 7 guys at 140 or 147 (Crawford, Garcia, Pac, Spence, Thurman, Porter, Horn) does not conjure a single scenario where he is even mildly competitive.

[/B]

I agree but it will be against very calculated competition. You are right in that he is marketable but the ship has sailed on him being great. If PBC wants to milk his marketability for all it's worth, he better not see a good fighter across from him.

You don't often get beat like he did against Mikey and then become great. The thought of him being in there with the best 6 or 7 guys at 140 or 147 (Crawford, Garcia, Pac, Spence, Thurman, Porter, Horn) does not conjure a single scenario where he is even mildly competitive.

Couldn't agree more!

[/B]

Yeah that is true. Remember the Ponce De Leon fight? I strongly to this day feel Broner lost (and decisively) but got one heck of a gift. After that, the matchmaking got very careful with him (Eloy Perez and Gavin Rees were two of the "better" names that appeared on the resume). Even the Maidana fight was thought to be easy (Maidana had been out boxed easily by Alexander and struggled against Josesito Lopez) but that did not go as planned. But Broner did become marketable during that time and Haymon built that...now he will milk it for all he can with PBC. Broner is going to get fights for however long he continues to be in the ring.

A rematch with Vargas is not happening. Though I can see Broner being the opponent now for Thurman in Thurman's comeback fight especially with how vulnerable Broner appears.

Yeah that is true. Remember the Ponce De Leon fight? I strongly to this day feel Broner lost (and decisively) but got one heck of a gift. After that, the matchmaking got very careful with him (Eloy Perez and Gavin Rees were two of the "better" names that appeared on the resume). Even the Maidana fight was thought to be easy (Maidana had been out boxed easily by Alexander and struggled against Josesito Lopez) but that did not go as planned. But Broner did become marketable during that time and Haymon built that...now he will milk it for all he can with PBC. Broner is going to get fights for however long he continues to be in the ring.

A rematch with Vargas is not happening. Though I can see Broner being the opponent now for Thurman in Thurman's comeback fight especially with how vulnerable Broner appears.

Could be but Thurman will be Mandatory for Porter-Garcia winner.

Thurman just might fade away. Nobody seems to care about him any longer (including me). I was never high on him. I'd love to see Broner beat him, though it would be considered a massive upset. At any rate, If Thurman gets in their with Crawford or Spence, it will be for one time and only one time.

Adrien Broner's career might be a case of "what could have been," but it's got me thinking about my own career path. One thing's for sure: having a killer resume is crucial for success. That's why I'm thinking to hire resume writer With their expertise, I can make sure my career story is told in the best possible light.

Last edited:
Back