Conor Benn Crosses the Pond to Defeat Peter Dobson in Las Vegas

AcidArne

Administrator
By David A. Avila

England’s Conor “The Destroyer” Benn struck quickly and often against New York’s Peter Dobson’s strong chin and rolled to victory by unanimous decision in Las Vegas on Saturday.

It was Las Vegas’ first glimpse of Benn in the prize ring.

The up-tempo style of Benn (23-0, 14 KOs) proved the difference over Dobson (16-1, 9 KOs) at the Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas. The son of boxing great Nigel Benn showed his pedigree and a good chin as well.

Benn quickly learned that Dobson could take a good blow to the chin. And the New York fighter known as “Pistol Pete” also learned Benn could absorb chin shots too. The difference was in the speed of the attacks by the British welterweight.

After Benn blitzed the American fighter in the first three rounds, it was clear that Dobson was waiting for the speedy fighter to slow down. Benn did slow and Dobson began his counter-punching attack. He was especially effective with the right. It was not enough.

The British fighter’s blazing combinations always forced the New York fighter into a protective shell. But once Dobson realized he could take the blows, he began a more forward attack and did well in the fifth and ninth rounds.

Overall, Benn was too quick and far more active than the counter-punching style of Dobson. From the eighth round onward, both freely exchanged with Benn using combination punches to the body and head to score more effectively.

Neither fighter seemed seriously hurt by the other and after 12 rounds one judge scored it 119-109 and two others 118-110. All for Benn.

“It was good and I was a bit disappointed,” said Benn. “I was in cruise control…you can always do better.”

Benn said he will fight anybody in the welterweight division.

Promoter Eddie Hearn said a fight in the United Kingdom seems in store for Benn.

“I really want to destroy people,” Benn said.

Other Bouts

Austin “Ammo” Williams (16-0, 11 KOs) was forced to fight a very late replacement in Africa’s Armel Mbumba-Yassa (10-1, 7 KOs). The Houston middleweight needed a several rounds to figure out the weakness before battering the body and then delivering a sidewinder right that decked the solid replacement for a knockout win at 2:50 of the seventh round.

“I got to show I can adapt to any style,” said Williams.

British heavyweight Johnny Fisher (11-0, 10 KOs) only needed one round to bludgeon Dmytro Bezus (10-2, 5 KOs) and force a stoppage at 2:51 of the first round. A dozen unanswered blows to the head forced referee Robert Hoyle to halt the fight.

“He wasn’t fighting back,” said Fisher, England's "Romford Bull.:

In a light heavyweight match Khalil Coe (8-0-1, 6 KOs) used repeated body shots to floor Mexico's Gerardo Osuna (20-1, 18 KOs) three times in the second round. Both entered the boxing ring as undefeated knockout artists. The end came at 1:14 of the second round.

Back