Kenshiro Teraji Nips Carlos Canizales in a Scorcher; Akui Wins Too in Osaka

AcidArne

Administrator
This is a golden era of boxing in Japan and tonight the Land of the Rising Sun had a new world title-holder when Seijo Yuri Akui wrested the WBA world flyweight title from previously undefeated Artem Dalakian in Osaka. But this match played third fiddle to the WBC/WBA world light flyweight match between Kenshiro Teraji (pictured) and Carlos Canizales, a crowd-pleasing tussle that became a war of attrition after both combatants were on the deck in the early rounds. When the smoke cleared, it was Teraji who had his hand raised, prevailing on a majority decision (114-112, 114-112, 113-113).

A second-generation prizefighter considered the best fighter in his weight class, Teraji (23-1, 15 KOs) was in his second reign as a light flyweight title-holder and appearing in his fifteenth world title fight. A 30-year-old Venezuelan, Canizales (26-2-1) had once held a version of this title and was 2-0-1 heading in against Japanese boxers on Asian soil.

The Venezuelan was on the deck first, falling on top of Teraji after being discombobulated by a counter right hand in the second frame. He returned the favor in round three, putting the Japanese on the floor with a sharp left hook. Teraji was a up in a jiffy, but it was a clean knockdown. From that point on, it was something of a see-saw battle with Canizales seeming to fade only to get a second wind.

Teraji, 32, aspires to become the first fully unified 108-pount champion in the four-belt era but has also expressed a willingness to move up four pounds to challenge San Antonio’s Jesse “Bam” Rodriguez even if that meant traveling to America.

Co-Feature

Seijo Yuri Akui entered the bout in fine form having won six straight, the last two of which were 10-round shutouts. With the home field advantage, he was actually a small favorite over Dalakian, notwithstanding the fact that the Ukrainian was undefeated (22-0) and making his seventh title defense.

At age 28, Akui, who improved to 19-2-1 (11), was the younger man by eight years and this likely played a part in the outcome, a wide decision for the challenger (119-109, 117-111, 116-112), albeit a closer fight than that in the eyes of those tuning in on ESPN+. Regardless, the right man won as Akui had Dalakian fighting off his back foot for much of the 12 rounds.

Semi-windup

In a junior featherweight match sandwiched between the two title fights, Tenshin Nasukawa improved to 3-0 at the expense of Mexico City’s Luis Robles Pacheco (15-3-1) who retired on his stool after three rounds with an ankle injury. Nasukawa won the completed rounds handily.

A baby-faced 25-year-old southpaw, Nasukawa became famous in his home country for his exploits as a kickboxer before turning to boxing. He’s best remembered for being embarrassed by Floyd Mayweather Jr who knocked him out in the opening round in what was ostensibly an exhibition. Robles Pacheco, who had Hall of Fame trainer Nacho Beristain in his corner, hadn’t previously been stopped.

the Dak v Akui was really too much to look at in a boring stupified kinda way..... it was about 500 A.M. so after 3/4 rounds i started eating so my eyes glazzed off the tv set for a few rounds and when i looked again it was easier to just eat some more. Point ? it was a sucky fight that was beyound boring but i believe Dak won yet i will not go back and sit thru that junk a second time, but glad Dak lost bc he was just skip skip skip to my lou all night. Plus Akui has two little ones so there is that too....
Teraji was close but my card had it as Canizales as a close winner or at best a draw but what a great fight no complaints in the long run that one i will watch again just for kicks. No stretcher was available on 12/23 for Mr. Anaguchi but they had one for some wierdo sprained ankle injury i mean you can not make this stuff up. Thanks for the write up thanks for the space................

Back