Oscar Valdez (TKO) and Seniesa Estrada (UD) Victorious in Arizona

AcidArne

Administrator
By David A. Avila

GLENDALE, Az.-Oscar Valdez proved a different style of attack can make a difference as he pounded out a technical knockout win over Australia’s super tough Liam Wilson for the interim WBO super featherweight title on Friday.

On paper, Valdez wasn’t supposed to win.

“It means a lot. People say I’m done,” said Valdez. “

Behind shotgun jabs and riveting combinations Valdez (32-2, 24 KOs) overwhelmed bigger and stronger Wilson (13-3, 7 KOs) in front of a roaring hometown crowd at Desert Diamond Arena on the Top Rank show.

Wilson was coming off a loss to current world titlist Emanuel Navarrete a year ago in a clash that many felt should not have been stopped. Once again Wilson was guilty of allowing a fight to be stopped after absorbing a battering. This time from Valdez.

Wilson started strong in the first two rounds with sizzling uppercuts from distance that connected. But after two rounds Valdez made adjustments.

Rocket jabs from Valdez stopped Wilson from advancing strongly and suddenly the temperature of the fight changed. The two-division world titlist from Nogales was able to fire combinations then slip away from Wilson’s dangerous blows.

Round after round Valdez bounced combinations off the head of Wilson who seldom seemed to be affected by the blows. Occasionally Wilson fired back from distance with big blasts and stopped Valdez from several attacks.

Several times Valdez was hurt. “He carries a punch,” he admitted.

In the sixth and seventh round Valdez opened up with several volleys. All connected in the body and head. Almost three dozen blows battered Wilson from corner to corner with few blows in return. Two times the referee allowed the onslaught and on the third volley referee Mark Nelson stopped the fight though Wilson had never hit the canvas.

The end for Wilson came at 2:48 of the seventh round. Once again he was stopped while on his feet. First against Navarrete a year ago and now Valdez, the new interim WBC super featherweight titlist and in line for the actual world title.

“I take my hat off to him. The best want to fight the best,” Valdez said. “I want to unify and fight the best.”

Seniesa Estrada Becomes Undisputed Champ

Seniesa-300x183.png

East L.A.’s Seniesa Estrada used her defensive niftiness and accuracy to become the first undisputed minimumweight champion by unanimous decision over Costa Rica’s Yokasta Valle.

In front of a large vocal crowd, Estrada (26-0, 9 KOs) slipped under most of Valle’s (30-3, 9 KOs) early attacks and proved she was the better, more well-rounded fighter..

Still, many in the crowd thought otherwise.

Both fighters walked into the boxing ring with two world titles in the minimumweight category and both confident of winning.

In the first round, during an exchange of blows Valle grabbed Estrada and that caused the two to collide heads. The Costa Rican fighter walked back to her corner with a large gash on her forehead.

“I had to struggle through that for the last nine rounds,” said Valle, 31.

It was a bad start for Valle.

Estrada began in a southpaw stance and switched to orthodox repeatedly throughout the bout. It took several rounds before Valle could adjust to the varying defensive stances and land a solid blow. Meanwhile Estrada targeted the body with shots and escaped under the counters by Valle.

“I knew she would come in and be aggressive like she always is,” said Estrada, 31. “That’s her style and I knew I would take everything away that she does best.”

It’s been a while since Estrada faced someone as quick and speedy as Valle. She maintained a specific distance and used shots to the body and left hook counters when Valle attacked.

The left hook seemed to be the favorite weapon for Estrada who used it to the body and head effectively. Valle never stopped attacking and firing blows. But she missed far more than Estrada throughout the fight.

Defense was the difference in this fight.

Both fighters showed off their quickness in close. Valle connected often with big rights but not often enough to counter the left hooks to the head.

Estrada landed numerous combinations both inside and out. That proved the difference in the fight. Valle ignored the blood dripping down her face through the entire fight and never slowed her pace.

After 10 rounds with no knockdowns all three judges scored 97-93 for Estrada who becomes the first woman to become undisputed minimumweight world champion.

Many fans booed the decision but all three judges saw Estrada the winner. Perhaps it was the site of Estrada taunting Valle in the last few rounds. Still, fans saw the two best minimumweights in the world collide.

“I’m beyond overwhelmed and happy,” said Estrada.

Other Bouts
Southern California’s Raymond “Danger” Muratalla (20-0, 16 KOs) slugged it out with South Africa’s Xolisani Ndongeni (31-5, 18 KOs) for 10 rounds in a super lightweight match. Despite both connecting with vicious shots throughout the fight neither fighter touched the canvas.

Muratalla was the slicker, more advanced fighter defensively, and was able to connect with just about any punch. But the South African fighter had a great chin and was resilient against everything Muratalla fired at him. Though he was staggered several times he never seemed in danger of a knockdown.

After 10 rounds all three judges saw it for the Fontana fighter 99-91, 98-92, 97-93.

A battle between Mexican super lightweights saw Lindolfo Delgado (20-0, 15 KOs) fall behind Tijuana’s hard-punching Carlos Sanchez (25-3, 19 KOs) in the first two rounds. Then he rebounded with a pair of knockdowns in their back-and-forth battle. A counter-right delivered Sanchez to the canvas in the fifth round. Sanchez rallied the next round, but when he continued to push the aggression, he was met by a sidewinder right to the chin by Delgado. He could not make the count at 48 seconds of the seventh round.

Photo credit: Mikey Williams / Top Rank via Getty Images,

it was a good solid fight the attraction to the fight had the things that make fight fans take a look --> Val was coming off a very debilitating loss, he was crushed after the fight (August) seemed to doubt himself and almost looked like a finished fighter but...... He showed he has something left in the ring not for too much longer will it be there to my eyes. Or to his eye"s as shown by his face after the bout was called. He had two cuts one looked bad if hit again, his face was swelling and he got hurt some a few times by his own admission. All that makes for a great little FNF something fight fans will always gravitate to and even watch on a Friday Night before Easter Sunday. Great thanks guys Liam got more respect in a closer loss then most realize, and a fight that keeps Arums reputation solid also, keep the fights coming the match ups that deserve some hype but most know what it is going to be good without any hype which this card did not have by the way. The undercard made me want to see a real fight and we go it. Oh the girls ...... eh i decided to miss them as most did.

Back