Zurdo Ramirez Accomplishes Another First; Unseats Cruiser Titlist Goulamirian

AcidArne

Administrator
By David A. Avila

Mexico’s Gilberto “Zurdo” Ramirez cracked the code in becoming the first from his country to hold a cruiserweight world title after moving up two weight divisions to conquer Arsen Goulamirian on Saturday.

“I’m a big boy,” said Ramirez about fighting heavier guys.

Ramirez (46-1, 30 KOs) became the first Mexican super middleweight world titlist when he defeated Germany's Arthur Abraham in 2016 and now he’s the first cruiserweight world titlist from that country in handily defeating WBA cruiserweight titlist Goulamirian (27-1, 18 KOs) at the YouTube Theater in Inglewood, Calif.

It had been 15 months since Goulamirian last fought and even famed trainer Abel Sanchez could not help.

Ramirez, a southpaw, immediately proved to be too shifty and too busy for Goulamirian whose strength was nullified by the Mexican fighter’s tactics. And once the slightly taller fighter felt the power of the champion, he decided to take the fight inside.

“As soon as I stepped in the ring,” said Ramirez about being able to absorb the heavier blows of a cruiserweight champion.

Body shots and combination punching seemed to slow down the champion who showed good power. And when he did connect on Ramirez, once again the Mexican fighter from Culiacan flaunted a strong chin.

Strangely, Goulamirian did not target the Mexican fighter’s body. And when he opened up with punches, he was caught often by Ramirez uppercuts. Again and again.

Each round that passed seemed to make Ramirez more comfortable and soon he seemed confident in trading with the naturally heavier fighter from France by way of Armenia. After 12 rounds all three judges scored the world title fight 118-110 for Ramirez.

The left-handed Mexican fighter established history as the first Mexican=born fighter to win a cruiserweight world title.

“I feel so proud of myself,” said Ramirez. “It is my time. I want to become undisputed champion.”

Other Bouts

Alexis Rocha (24-2, 16 KOs) battered Fredrick Lawson (30-5) and won by knockout at the end of the seventh round. Both welterweights were coming off losses. Lawson had been stopped by Vergil Ortiz Jr. in the first round.

Ricardo Sandoval (24-2, 17 KOs) defeated Nicaragua’s Carlos Buitrago (38-13-1, 22 Kos) by knockout in a flyweight war.

Santiago Dominguez (27-0, 20 KOs) won by split decision over Jose Luis Sanchez (14-4-1, 4 Kos) in a super welterweight match.

Back